Higher education in civil engineering in Romania came into being in 1818 with a School for Land Surveyors, which in 1864 became The School of Bridges and Roads, Mines and Architecture. It became The School of Bridges, Roads and Mines in 1867 and The National School of Bridges and Roads in 1888. In 1921 it turned into the Polytechnic School of Bucharest where civil engineers were trained in the Division of Civil Engineering, which was named The Faculty of Civil Engineering in 1938. As a result of the Education Reform in 1948, the Faculty of Civil Engineering separated from the Polytechnic School and became an independent higher education establishment called the Civil Engineering Institute Bucharest. In 1994 it adopted the present name - The Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest, the only Romanian university devoted entirely to engineering education in civil engineering and related fields.